How to Cleanse Crystals and Stones.
Crystals and stones absorb negative energies from you, others and the environment. You must clear these negative energies every now and then to keep your crystals and stones functioning to their full potential. Cleanse your crystals and stones right away as soon as you get them home. They will have absorbed negative energy from their previous handlers or environment.
The quickest way to clear crystals and stones is by smudging them. White sage smudge sticks work really well but you can also use loose sage, cedar, incense or sweetgrass. Simply pass the crystals or stones through the smoke a few times, hold them close to the smoke as it rises or just set them next to the smoke for a few minutes.
Water, Salt or Saltwater Cleanse
These methods of clearing crystals and stones can be used but, in spite of most people's firm belief that cleansing should involve water, it can be quite damaging. Avoid using these methods to charge your gemstones if you are at all uncertain about the type of stone and whether or not it should be exposed to water or salt.
- Run the crystal or stone under a stream of cool rainwater, distilled water, filtered water or even tap water in a pinch. Do not use hot or cold water as the temperature extremes will stress the crystal or stone. Amethyst, carnelian, citrine, moonstone, quartz and tourmaline can and should be rinsed. Do not use this method for lapis lazuli, quartzite, selenite or sodalite. It can dull the polish and/or cause damage.
- Bury the crystals or stones in coarse sea salt for 24 hours. This method should not be used in humid areas or for crystal clusters. The salt tends to work its way between the small crystals in the cluster and damage them or even cause the small crystals to break off.
- Run the crystal or stone under a stream of saltwater made by dissolving 1 tsp. of sea salt in an 8-ounce glass of water. Do not use this method on soft or porous crystals and stones. Crystal clusters, calcite, carnelian, labradorite and turquoise are just a handful of the gemstones that should not be cleared in this way.
Natural moonlight and sunlight cleanses crystals and stones naturally and energizes them. This may be the easiest way to charge them, as long as you have a window with good sun and moon exposure. You may also use this method, after clearing them with another method, just to energize them. The best time to use this method is when the moon is full.
- Place your crystals and stones on a window ledge, or outdoors if you can, where they will be exposed to direct sunlight and moonlight.
- Leave them there for 24 hours to 1 week.
Be extremely cautious with crystals and stones that fade in the sunlight such as amethyst and turquoise. Use a different method to charge them then leave them on the window ledge for the night to energize them. Do not leave them in direct sunlight.
Crystals and stones can be used to charge other crystals and stones. Flat clusters of quartz are ideal for this but others will also work well. Examples of natural cleaning crystals are:
- Rose quartz clusters.
- Clear quartz clusters.
- Amethyst clusters.
- Carnelian, which is actually a fibrous type of quartz.
- Citrine, which is a yellow quartz that does not retain negative energy.
- Kyanite, Rhaeticide or Cyanite, which also does not retain negative energy and is extremely useful for Chakra aligning and deep meditation.
- Selenite, an extremely high-energy type of gypsum.
Place your crystals and stones on the clearing crystal. Leave them there for 24 to 48 hours. A large, pretty cluster on the dresser or bathroom counter can be used to hold your jewelry when you take it off at night. It will serve as a useful, attractive decoration.
Bury your crystals and stones in a flower pot full of soil for 3 to 7 days. Be sure to use fresh potting soil that does not contain fertilizer. The fertilizer adds salt to the soil which could be harmful to some crystals and stones. You can bury them in the soil outdoors, too. Just be sure to mark where they are buried, so you don't forget where you put them, and don't bury them in wet soil or when rain is expected.
Dry rice will clear negative energies from your crystals and stones. Any type of rice will work.
- Pour a 2-inch depth of rice into a shallow bowl.
- Place your crystals and stones on top of the rice.
- Leave them there for the night or for 8 to 10 hours to give them time to fully charge.