Create a Sacred Space
Carve out your own personal sacred space for meditation. You don't need an entire room and the area doesn't need to be off-limits to everyone else in the household. It can be a small area or corner in a room. A space that instills a sense of peacefulness and tranquility is all you need. Once the meditation space is created, it will become your happy place where productive meditation will be easy to achieve. The positive energy will also spill out to fill the entire room and can even work its way throughout the home, making it a more pleasant place to live.
A Tranquil Arrangement
Gather up items that make you feel calm and happy. Arrange them on any flat surface within your chosen sacred space. A candle with a scent that you enjoy can be placed at the center as the focal point. Surround the candle with pictures, little statues, a small crystal singing bowl or anything else that makes you happy. A Buddha statue or two is an excellent addition to a sacred space. There are many types of Buddha statues. Select a style you like for your meditation space.
Put healing crystals in your sacred place. Most gemstones are carved into figurines or shapes like obelisks and eggs that make attractive decorative pieces. A crystal figurine could be a dragon, angel or animal, if you like. Go with what makes you happy. You can place a handful of tumble stones in an attractive bowl or simply set them directly on the surface around the other objects. Healing vibrations from the crystals will emanate into your sacred space.
Select gemstones that you like which impart benefits in keeping with your personal needs, desires and goals. Jade, garnet, moonstone, tiger eye, clear quartz, purple amethyst and selenite are just a handful of crystals with excellent motivating vibrations.
- Jade is ideal for tranquility, healing and spiritual meditation.
- Garnet is an excellent crystal for revitalizing, balancing and energizing while it protects you from negative energies.
- Moonstone imparts a calming energy and restores natural rhythms. It also encourages passionate feelings and spiritual growth.
- Tiger eye is great for goal-oriented meditation. It encourages devotion, commitment and level-headedness.
- Clear quartz helps you focus by filtering out distractions and amplifies the energies of other crystals.
- Purple amethyst clears and calms the mind to help you quickly reach a meditative state, suppresses distracting thoughts and is an excellent stress reliever.
- Selenite is ideal for clearing negative energies from your body and your sacred space. It can also be used to cleanse other crystals.
Be sure to cleanse and charge your crystals regularly. The negative energies they are exposed to will “clog” them, inhibiting their natural vibrations and reducing their effectiveness.
You may like to include a crystal grid in your sacred place. The crystals and paths on the grid focus energies toward a specific intention. There are grids for every goal, from peace and tranquility to love and healing.
Living Plant Energy
Include plants in your sacred space. They naturally improve the air by absorbing carbon dioxide and releasing oxygen. Many species of plants, like Dracaenas, even remove toxins from the air. The space will also be enhanced with their natural, spirit-lifting energy.
Sacred Space Maintenance
Clear negative energy from your sacred space before you begin meditating. This is done by smudging or with the use of a crystal singing bowl. Play your crystal singing bowl for several minutes prior to meditating. The crystal sound vibrations will drive negative energies from your crystals and the entire area.
White sage is commonly used for smudging but other herbs like lavender may be added to smudging sticks.
- Light the sage stick so that it emits smoke.
- Wave the smoking sage throughout your sacred space with your hand or a feather.
Crystals can be cleansed with the sage smoke as well. Pass the smoking sage near the crystals so that the smoke wafts over and around them.