Deeply, mysterious onyx is a rather complex stone with an interesting history. There are multiple types of onyx and a few imposters that you need to be aware of if you are in the market for a fine onyx crystal. This is a beautiful gemstone that can be beneficial or harmful, depending on how it is used. All of its attributes, both good and bad, are come together at the heart of onyx meaning.
Beautiful banded onyx has a complex and sometimes contradictory history. The use of onyx dates back to very early civilizations. People have long appreciated it, respected it and even feared it for all of its mysterious powers. It is a lovely, dark crystal with banding and even multiple layers in some types.
Onyx has been utilized in burials to help loved ones in the afterlife and in ceremonies to represent a deep, long-lasting bond. It has been used for thousands of years for scrying and performing magic. Amulets, figurines, cameos, intaglio engravings, seals, stamps and tiles have been made from onyx and red-brown sardonyx. Swords, shields and armor have been adorned with onyx and sardonyx gemstones. Black onyx, inscribed with the name Gad, was the eleventh stone on the High Priest’s breastplate.
On the other hand, this interesting black stone with white banding has been feared due to its ability to instill dissent, despondency and depression. It is believed to cause people to have severe mood swings and become angry with little to no provocation. Onyx has been blamed for causing fights and unhappiness within families, terrifying visions at night, demon attacks and separations between lovers. There was a time when nobody wanted anything to do with the black crystal in China. Only people desperate for any way to make a living would go into the onyx mines to get it. They would wear sard or sardonyx to counteract the harmful consequences of coming in contact with onyx. As soon as the onyx gemstones were extracted, they were exported it to other lands to sell.
Onyx meaning is all about a balance of good and bad, pain and pleasure, negative and positive. With proper use, it facilitates an integration of one’s dualities. Onyx also helps one find strength, confidence and firm control over one’s physical body, emotions and spirituality. Careful utilization of onyx harnesses aggression and turns it around to build emotional and physical strength. One’s ability to persist and endure life’s ups and downs to remain steady and strong.
Be cautious with onyx as it can retain painful memories and emotional traumas experienced by its owner. It then repeatedly reminds the owner of these painful experiences, causing one to constantly remember and relive the traumatic experience. When used properly, it will release the painful memories, thereby helping one to let go of the experiences and move forward in a more emotionally healthy way. After one undergoes this process, it is said that onyx will turn things around, bringing its owner good fortune and happiness.
Onyx is actually a type of layered agate that is black with bands of white. Solid black onyx gemstones are made from the black bands on larger stones. It is classified as a type of chalcedony quartz or cryptocrystalline.
Sardonyx or sard onyx is a combination of sard and onyx. The sard portions are red-brown carnelian and the onyx portions are white onyx. Sardonyx was called sardinius at one time and sard was called sardius. Sardonyx is said to neutralize the negative attributes of onyx. Sard was believed to provide protections against evil spells or sorcery and was worn for courage and a sharp mind.
Chalcedonyx, also called banded onyx, is commonly white onyx with translucent or banded opaque layers. It is often white with black, brown, cream or gray streaks.
Niccolo onyx has a thin top layer that reveals the base color, which is black but appears to be blue or gray.
Onyx is often dyed or treated to enhance or change its color. There are also gemstones that are marketed as onyx but aren’t really onyx at all.
Cave onyx, Brazilian onyx, Mexican onyx and onyx marble are not onyx. They are aragonite, calcite, travertine or tufa stones that have banding and can be made to look like onyx.
Green onyx, green onyx marble, red onyx and blue onyx are chalcedony stones that do not have bands. They are dyed and sold as a type of onyx but they are not onyx.
Onyx opal is actually a dark, banded opal.
Rhodochrosite onyx is rhodochrosite that has bands of a different colors. Rhodochrosite is pink. The bands might be lighter pink or black.
Spiritual healing with onyx gives one unwavering focus and willpower. It produces a strong connection with the earth, allowing one to stay well-grounded while looking to a higher power for guidance. This is an excellent crystal for stimulating extrasensory abilities. It provides protection from those who would attempt to cause psychic harm. It is also very good for regression into a past life to explore past life experiences. White onyx is ideal for delving into the angelic realm and the Akashic records.
Onyx meaning in Divination states: Happiness and good fortune are around the corner. A dream that involves onyx is indicative of a blissful marriage. A dream that has sardonyx in it indicates a stronger bond between friends.
Archangels are drawn to onyx when it is worn by people who are born at a certain time. Following are Archangels who are attracted to onyx:
- Brown onyx will strengthen a connection to Mehiel if the owner was born between February 5 and 9. It will also attract Damabiah to people born between February 10 and 14 as well as Rehael to people born between October 4 and 8.
- Black onyx facilitates a connection to Haiaiel or Hajael for people born between March 11 and 15. People born between May 1 and 5 could strengthen their connection to Haziel with black onyx. It also strengthens a bond between Hahaiah or Hahajah for people born between May 16 and 20 or Vasiariah for those born between August 29 and September 2. Sealiah is drawn to people born between November 3 and 7 when they wear or carry black onyx.
- Scarlet onyx attracts Haamiah to people born between September 29 and October 3. Dark scarlet onyx enhances the bond between Daniel and people born between November 28 and December 2.
Onyx gemstones and figurines represent water energy in Feng Shui. They should be placed in the north of a room or home to enhance quiet strength, purification, regeneration, rebirth and new beginnings. Place a bowl of black onyx tumble stones in the north of a room that is often used for quiet reflection, meditation or prayer.
How to use onyx and sardonyx in spiritual healing:
- Hold an onyx and sardonyx mala or prayer beads while praying or reciting a mantra. It is always best to use both for the best balance of energies.
- Wear onyx and sardonyx bracelets, rings, necklaces and earrings. They will strengthen you throughout the day.
- Put onyx and sardonyx tumble stones, palm stones or worry stones in your purse, wallet or pants pocket when you leave home. If you feel your confidence wavering, hold the crystals or rub them between your finger and thumb.
Onyx and sardonyx have multiple healing properties for the physical body. They are especially useful for improving nerve function and enhancing eye, ear and nose health. They are used to improve hearing, treat inner ear problems and help cure tinnitus. Onyx and sardonyx boost the immune system, enhance vitality and help thwart relapses after recovering from an illness. Both crystals are believed to enhance cell regeneration, reduce edema and improve digestive tract health.
Teeth and bones can be made healthier with the use of onyx. It is said to help alleviate disorders that involve the bone marrow and soft tissue.
How to use onyx and sardonyx:
- Wear onyx and sardonyx jewelry that keep the crystals near the problem area. Earrings would be ideal for people troubled by tinnitus or any ear, nose and throat disorder.
- Keep onyx and sardonyx stones in your pocket to alleviate digestive tract issues. A long pendant with an onyx or sardonyx crystal on it would help with stomach disorders.
- Put an onyx or sardonyx crystal on the abdomen while lying down for improved digestion.
- Take an onyx or sardonyx elixir.
The emotional healing properties of onyx are all about giving one emotional strength and fortitude. It is ideal for helping one deal with confusing or stressful situations. Onyx is especially useful for soothing anxiety and nervousness. It cools hot tempers, alleviates fear and improves one’s self control. This black banded crystal also brings the mind back to a more rational state. People who tend to be flighty, nervous and lacking in confidence will be helped by onyx and sardonyx crystals.
When suffering the loss of a loved one, onyx will bring inner strength. It helps with the grief process, allowing one to cope with loss and move forward in a healthy way.
How to use onyx and sardonyx:
- Wear onyx and sardonyx jewelry to bolster confidence and encourage forward progress.
- Take an onyx elixir let the healing vibrations course through your entire body.
- Keep onyx and sardonyx crystal tumble stones or worry stones with you for support in case you feel your emotional strength waver.
- Keep an onyx or sardonyx figurine or a bowl of tumble stones on your desk at work.
Meditation with onyx is wonderful for connecting with higher powers during deep meditation. It is also excellent for clearing your mind to facilitate a strong connection for clear guidance. It is very grounding. Sardonyx enhances focus, keeping out distractions that would interfere with your meditative state of mind. Use both onyx and sardonyx while meditating for best results.
How to do onyx and sardonyx meditation:
- Hold an onyx and sardonyx crystal or figurine in your hand. Focus on it while you quiet your mind to reach a meditative state.
- Place a bowl of sardonyx and onyx tumble stones, a figurine, an obelisk or a pyramid on a table at eye level and use it as a focal point while you meditate.
Onyx is an ancient birthstone for people born in July and a modern birthstone for people born in December. Sardonyx is an ancient birthstone for people born in August along with carnelian. ONYX ZODIAC SIGN
Onyx and sardonyx are zodiac sign birthstones for people born under the following signs:
- Sardonyx is a modern zodiac birthstone for people born under the sign of Aries. People born under this sign celebrate their birthdays between March 21 and April 19.
- Onyx is an ancient and modern birthstone for people born under the sign of Leo. These people were born between July 23 and August 22.
Onyx and sardonyx are great grounding stones for chakra meditation. They also resonate with the Earthstar and root or base chakra. The root chakra is located at the base of the spine while the Earthstar chakra is located directly below and between the feet. Activate the Earthstar chakra to solidify your connection in this world. White onyx resonates with the crown chakra.
How to use onyx and sardonyx to activate, cleanse and balance your chakras:
- Lie down and place a black or dark brown onyx or sardonyx crystal between your feet and on or directly above your pubic bone. Position a white onyx gemstone on the top of your head.
- Begin at the Earthstar chakra and work your way up.
- Leave the stones on the chakras for at least 10 to 15 minutes then remove them in reverse order.
Cleanse your onyx and sardonyx stones frequently, especially if you are using them often to clear your chakras. They are fairly hard stones so you can cleanse the negative energies away by holding them under running water. If they get dirty, wash them in tepid water with a little mild dishwashing liquid.