Amethysts are not just pretty rocks. They have a long history of helping people in a number of ways. These purple quartz gems are worn to protect people, quiet the mind and help control addictions. Amethyst meaning nicely sums up the benefits of amethyst. Whether it is worn in jewelry or carved into a statuette, it can improve the amethyst owner’s health and overall well-being.
Purple amethyst has represented power through the ages. Carved, polished amethyst stones and gems were used by the Egyptians all the way back in 4000 BC. The rich color of purple amethysts represented royalty perfectly, as far as Egyptians were concerned. This amethyst meaning gave amethyst gems an important place in British crown jewels.
- Catherine the Great was particularly fond of amethyst gems. They also hold a prominent place in Christianity where they are known as "the stone of bishops".
- Greeks wore amethyst rings while drinking alcoholic beverages to ward off intoxication and drank from the purple quartz. Amethyst stones were carved into goblets by the Greeks who believed they would not become intoxicated if they drank wine from amethyst cups. Purple amethysts are still worn today to signify sobriety.
- Hebrews believed amethyst gems would provide protection for the High Priest. An amethyst stone, representing the tribe of Dan, was the 9th stone in the breastplate worn by the High Priest. An amethyst rock was placed 12th in the foundation for the New Jerusalem.
Around 1250 to 1300, Greeks named the purple quartz amethyst meaning "not intoxicated or intoxicating," based on the gem’s seeming ability to prevent drunkenness. The name amethyst, is tied to Dionysius, the Greek god of intoxication, who was known as Bacchus to the Romans. As the story goes, Dionysius felt insulted by something a human said. He was a vengeful Greek god who decided to take his anger out on the next human who came near. A woman named Amethyst was the unfortunate human to suffer Dionysius’ wrath. The Greek god sent tigers to kill her. Amethyst was actually on her way to worship the goddess Diana, who turned Amethyst into a quartz statue so the tigers could not hurt her. Dionysius felt so bad about what he had done that he cried, raining wine down on the quartz statue. In the Roman version of this myth, Bacchus poured the juice from his grapes over the statue. The wine is what was believed to impart the rich, purple amethyst color. True to amethyst meaning, this semi-precious gem promotes mental clarity and helps curb addictive behavior.
Amethyst Spiritual Healing
Amethysts are used extensively to assist in spiritual healing by helping the user keep a calm, clear mind to better receive communication and guidance. Amethyst meaning in religion extends beyond its ability to help keep one’s mind clear, however.
- Rosary beads and prayer beads made from amethyst stones impart pious calm. This particular type of calm mindset opens the mind of the person using the beads to a better connect with The Divine.
- Amethysts were used in Egyptian burials. The Egyptians called these purple gems "hemag". Amethyst or hemag stones were carved into the shape of a heart and buried with the dead to assist them in their spiritual passage.
- Brandberg amethyst gems are particularly helpful for spiritual healing. Brandberg amethysts are mined in Namibia, Africa at a powerful intersection of earth meridians. The mountain that is mined for these amethyst stones is known as Burning Mountain to the Damara people or Mountain of the Gods by Herero people. It is a sacred site for the San tribes. The high vibration levels of these amethyst stones are purported to restore the soul and facilitate alignment with The Divine. Brandberg amethyst stones are a combination of purple amethyst and smoky to clear quartz.
Amethyst gemstones impart special healing powers. Improvements can be made to health that benefit the entire human body.
- Endocrine gland function can be improved, resulting in a more efficient production of hormones. Overall emotional balance is often achieved with efficient hormone production.
- Heart function and blood oxygen levels can be improved with amethyst which helps with overall health and wellness. An increase in blood oxygen results in better mental clarity.
- Amethyst soothes and calms neural impulses, facilitating calm, clear thinking in keeping with amethyst meaning.
- Digestion is improved by wearing amethyst.
- Skin health is improved by amethyst, including a reduction in swelling, bruising and the pain associated with these issues.
- Amethyst helps in the reduction of tension and stress, promoting calm clarity.
- Amethyst can be used to improve psychological imbalances although it will not improve psychological function in schizophrenics or people suffering from paranoia.
- Ringing in the ears, also known as tinnitus, is improved by wearing amethyst gems.
- Headaches are reduced by amethyst stones.
- Addictions of all types can be controlled more easily while wearing amethyst gems. The power of alcohol, drugs and cigarettes over the human body is greatly reduced by amethyst stones.
Ametrine gems are made from amethyst/citrine quartz stones. This blend of two types of quartz, each with their own energy level, offers a wide range of benefits. Ametrine embodies amethyst meaning by helping the wearer keep a clear mind while reducing pain and tension. Creativity is released by ametrine, resulting in an onslaught of new insights and fresh new ideas. When an ametrine gem is put in moonlight during a full moon, it is said to impart good luck in money matters. At 12:00 p.m., set it where the full moon light will shine on it that night. Leave it there until the next day to improve its ability to help with investments.
Amethyst gems reduce anxiety and help relieve stress. Keeping the mind clear or "not intoxicated" improves the ability to remain calm in the face of adversity which will minimize anxiety and stress.
- Amethysts imbue the wearer with a calm, even temperament, which is advantageous during negotiations of any type.
- Put an amethyst stone or gem beneath a mattress or pillow to alleviate sleeplessness, reduce nightmares and increase good dreams. Rubbing an amethyst gem counter-clockwise in the middle of the forehead will produce the same result.
- Amethyst stones or gems help to control obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) and calm a pet or child’s hyperactivity.
"Soul stone" is another name for amethyst gems and stones. Amethyst crystals help terminally ill and fatally injured people stay clear-minded and calm during the death process. Amethyst crystals are useful in the grieving process, promoting a calm state of mind in the bereaved while they let go of their loved one.
A "Rutilated" amethyst is especially useful during the death process. This type of amethyst contains brown iron crystals known as Goethite which are also present in the Super Seven crystal. These crystals facilitate a link connecting deep self with earth, clearing the base and earth chakras and aligning the entire chakra system. The Goethite crystals facilitate connections with angels and other worlds.
Meditation is made easier and improved with the use of purple amethyst. Amethyst stones and gems clear the mind to help facilitate meditation at the beginning. Purple amethyst vibrations continue to facilitate the meditation process. They help to clear the static of intrusive distracting thoughts and keep the mind calm.
- Begin the meditation process by holding a purple amethyst gem or stone on the Third Eye or brow chakra. High levels of vibration from purple quartz stones encourage a more humble state of mind. Clarity can be more easily achieved while the mind is humble.
- Hold amethyst crystals or gems in the left hand for a more energizing meditation experience.
- Set a large amethyst stone or amethyst statuette on a meditation altar for improved concentration and assistance while centering the mind.
- Include purple amethysts at the northeast point of crystal medicine wheels. The amethyst gems impart healing energies and an improved life balance. When placed on a crystal medicine wheel, purple amethyst stones encourage healing and promote balance in your life. A purple amethyst stone in this position provides clarity. It provides spiritual guidance and improves the decision-making process.
Every month of the year has an assigned traditional birthstone. February’s traditional birthstone is purple amethyst. People born in February often wear jewelry made with purple amethysts as a symbol of their birth month. There are also natural birthstones that signify a certain time of year. For people born between November 21 and December 20, the winter solstice, amethyst crystals are natural birthstones. Jewelry made with purple amethyst gems are said to improve self-awareness with deeper personal insight. It encourages creativity and opens the mind, making the wearer more perceptive.
Amethyst Zodiac Sign
Amethyst stones are said to bring planetary influences and astrological influences together. People born under the Pisces zodiac sign have an amethyst for their zodiac birthstone. Pisces, the zodiac sign with two fish, is the sign of people born from February 19 to March 20. A well-developed sense of empathy and resilient personality are common traits of people born under this zodiac sign. People within this group tend to do well in the fields of drama, music and art as well as marketing.
Everybody has chakras that run along the length of their bodies. Amethysts are very useful for keeping chakras healthy which improves health and state of mind. The crown chakra is on the top of the head where belief systems, thought processes, spirituality and the way in which we view our world originate. The Third Eye or brow chakra is located in the area between the eyebrows. The brow chakra is the center of consciousness and awareness. Inner communication is controlled at the brow chakra.
The color of amethyst rocks makes a difference in how well they work to help open the various chakras. Different colors of amethyst vibrate at different levels. Using the right amethyst color can help to fine-tune a particular chakra.
- Use a deep purple-blue or indigo amethyst to correct imbalances in the Third Eye or brow chakra. Imbalances of the Third Eye have a negative effect on awareness and consciousness and impede inner communications. Using indigo amethyst gems to help keep the Third Eye well results in new and better ideas, dreams and visions. The energy flow through the chakras, which extend down the center of the body, is greatly improved by a clear and balanced Third Eye.
- Lower crown chakras, which are located on the top of the head, are more influenced by light purple or violet amethyst crystals. These pale violet amethyst stones encourage clarity. Healthy, clear lower crown chakras have a beneficial influence on our sense of spirituality and perception of our place within the world.
- Higher crown chakras are more influenced by an amethyst crystal with a white or light lavender-white color. This color of amethyst vibrates at a higher level which is better for higher crown chakras. These vibrations bring about calm and clarity. Opening these higher chakras enhances spiritual enlightenment and soul connections, all of which serves to bring about complete self-illumination.