The warm, fiery colors found in carnelian gemstones make them extremely desirable for jewelry, but there is more to them than that. Carnelian stone benefits have been enjoyed for centuries. These fiery gems have adorned warriors heading off to battle, have been included in ancient burials and have been used in alchemy.
Carnelian entered recorded history more than 4000 years ago. This orange mineral rock was revered by ancient noblemen and noblewomen. Ancient Babylonians, Greeks and Romans wore amulets and talismans made from carnelian stones. They also wore insignia rings adorned with carnelian gemstones and made seals out of carnelian rock.
- Ancient Egyptian master architects wore carnelian gemstones to symbolize their position. Carnelian amulets were engraved with texts out of the Book of the Dead and placed on the dead to help insure safe passage.
- The Holy Scriptures list carnelian gemstone as one of the gems that adorned the breastplate of Aaron. He was a prophet and the first high priest of the Israelites. In this instance, carnelian meaning represented the blood of the martyrs. It was also thought to keep the wearer from catching the plague and other illnesses.
- During the Middle Ages, alchemists used carnelian boiling stones. They believed the orange chalcedony quartz would activate the energies of other types of chalcedony quartz. This energy transformation made it more useful to the alchemist.
- The Islamic prophet Mohammed wore a carnelian gemstone seal ring that brought him good luck.
- Napoleon wore a lucky watch charm made with carnelian gemstones.
- The German writer/scientist Johann Wolfgang von Goethe also believed carnelian brought good luck and provided hope, comfort and protection from evil.
Carnelian stone, also sometimes called cornelian stone, is an orange chalcedony quartz. The orange color, which comes from iron impurities, varies from a light, pink-orange to deep red-orange or even a dark, brown-red. This range of colors inspired the ancient Egyptians to call the orange mineral rock "the setting sun." Much of carnelian meaning is directly related to carnelian color. Due to the ever-growing rarity of carnelian rock, one must beware of imposters. Agate stones, which are also a type of chalcedony quartz, are sometimes dyed or heated to make them look like carnelian and sold as carnelian gemstones. Norway and Sweden claim this orange mineral rock as their national gemstone.
In addition to good luck, carnelian meaning includes protection from negative energy and poverty. This cornelian meaning remains to this day. Throughout the centuries, additional cornelian meaning has been assigned to this orange chalcedony quartz. Amulets and talismans were worn by ancient warriors to gain courage and power. Cornelian meaning embodies courage, endurance, motivation and leadership.
Carnelian color imparted additional carnelian meanings for the ancient Egyptians which carry through to this day. True orange carnelian stone meaning has to do with feminine passive-receptive energy. The orange carnelian color signified mother goddess Isis' fertility due to its resemblance to the color of menstrual blood. Vibrant red-orange and red-brown carnelian color signified virile male energy. Cornelian rock meaning still encompasses romantic desire, love and passion.
Carnelian meaning established by ancient Egyptian architects has also persisted throughout the years. It is believed to bolster creativity in architects. Carnelian is also said to impart carnelian power to builders and people who work in construction. Carnelian power is believed to protect people from accidents that are common on construction sites. These days carnelian meaning has been extended to include home protection from accidents, fire, storms and theft.
Carnelian stone benefits provide energy and power to athletes and people in the military, in keeping with carnelian meaning. Journalists develop better organization and form in their writing while people in sales become more motivated with the use of carnelian gemstones.
Carnelian stone benefits are believed to include prosperity and additional resources, as indicated by carnelian meaning. Carnelian crystal meaning in a place of employment includes ambitious drive and determination. The orange mineral rock is said to help reduce excessive pressures from co-workers and supervisors with unrealistic demands.
In keeping with carnelian meaning, it is said to impart courage to those struggling with difficulties or fighting for a cause. Carnelian stones support cohesion within a community as well as idealism and pragmatism.
Carnelian is known as the "Singer's Stone" because it is said to bring clarity to a singer's voice. In keeping with carnelian meaning, the gemstone imparts confidence in performers. The orange quartz is thought to embolden a timid speaker, encouraging bold but eloquent speech.
Carnelian healing properties clear the way for spiritual healing to begin. In keeping with carnelian crystal meaning, the orange quartz energizes and stimulates action. Indecision and procrastination slip away to be replaced with the courage to move forward toward spiritual healing. With the use of carnelian, a clearer sense of self-awareness can be realized. This new self-awareness allows spiritual energy to flow more freely. The path to achieving important goals will be more easily revealed.
The spiritual healing properties of carnelian can be utilized to strengthen familial love, one of the carnelian properties linked to carnelian meaning. Pink-orange carnelian promotes love between two parents as well as love between parents and their children.
How to use carnelian
- Hold a carnelian stone while praying or meditating.
- Use a carnelian mala or carnelian prayer beads to facilitate spiritual healing.
Orange and red carnelian stones have different carnelian stone meaning in divination. Orange carnelian meaning in Divination states, "You may get the chance to breathe new life into a relationship." Red carnelian meaning in Divination states, "Not a time to back down. Ask for what you need and do not settle for second best." If one dreams of carnelian, regardless of the exact color, it is believed be a warning of coming misfortune.
Carnelian gemstones are attractive to many guardian angels. Wearing jewelry with carnelian gemstones or even just carrying a carnelian stone in a pocket could encourage a stronger connection with one of them. They tend to be partial to orange and red carnelian stones.
Carnelian meaning in Feng Shui is fire energy. Feng Shui fire energy brings illumination, energy and warmth into the home. Its Yang nature imparts action, heat energy and passion in the areas of concepts, ideas and sex. Carnelian stones are connected with reputation and fame, enhancing one's standing in the family and within the community.
How to use carnelian:
- Use only small amounts of red or scarlet carnelian to impart the power of the sun and energy of the fire element.
- Use small accent pieces of orange carnelian stone where increased energy will be helpful.
- Place the carnelian stones in the south of a room or home.
Physical healing properties of carnelian are primarily associated with increased circulation which can bring increased strength in keeping with carnelian meaning. Improved blood flow can be beneficial in all aspects of physical health. Carnelian benefits are said to stimulate the metabolism, improve fertility and reduce frigidity and impotence. Carnelian stone benefits may minimize symptoms associated with menstruation and menopause.
Carnelian healing properties may improve digestion and facilitate nutrient absorption in the small intestine, in keeping with carnelian meaning. Carnelian gemstones are said to help with boils, congestion, hemorrhoids, phlebitis, skin problems and varicose veins. Carnelian is believed to help stop nosebleeds.
Additional carnelian healing properties are associated with the musculoskeletal system. Carnelian benefits are said to assist with healing of arthritis, back troubles, neuralgia and rheumatism, all benefits that can increase strength in keeping with carnelian meaning. Carnelian gemstones may help reduce depression in people of all ages, although they are believed to be more beneficial for the elderly. Carnelian may assist with detoxification from drugs and alcohol in addition to helping to break addictions to these substances.
How to use carnelian
- Wear jewelry that contains carnelian gemstones.
- Hold a carnelian stone.
- Taking carnelian essence elixir may be helpful. A common dose is 5 drops. It can be taken by mouth or added to the bath for a soothing soak.
Emotional healing properties of carnelian focus on stabilizing emotions and increasing motivation which supports carnelian meaning. The ability to concentrate may be bolstered by carnelian, reducing the mind's temptation to wander or daydream.
Carnelian stone benefits are believed to provide protection from negative emotions like envy, rage or resentment from others and within yourself. With this negativity reduced, a renewed love of life can more easily take hold, in keeping with carnelian meaning. Carnelian gemstones are helpful for anyone in an abusive situation, bolstering trust in your own perceptions and judgement.
Carnelian helps to reduce the feelings of jealousy and possessiveness in romantic relationships. Carnelian benefits extend to anxieties over sexual relationships and may help men going through a mid-life crisis, all of which supports carnelian meaning. Eating disorders may also be curbed with the use of carnelian stones, a benefit that increases strength as indicated by carnelian meaning.
Carnelian properties can be utilized to reap carnelian benefits through carnelian meditation. Including carnelian stone in meditation can help clarify the way to bring a concept to fruition. Carnelian stones also help during carnelian meditation by improving focus and concentration, a benefit supported by carnelian meaning.
How to use carnelian
- Wear carnelian gemstone jewelry while meditating.
- Hold a carnelian stone while meditating. A small carnelian gemstone is all that is needed.
Carnelian gemstones are the traditional birthstone of people born in the month of August. They are the natural birthstones of people born in late summer and fall. The autumnal color palette of carnelian stones represents this time of year perfectly.
- Orange carnelian birthstones are the natural birthstone for people born between August 22 and September 22. Wearing orange carnelian gemstones bolsters friendship, joy, pleasure and family closeness, as indicated by carnelian meaning.
- Scarlet carnelian gemstones are natural birthstones for people born between September 23 and October 21. This carnelian color will impart dedication, strength, vitality and willpower, in keeping with carnelian meaning.
- Red carnelian, sometimes called sard, is the natural birthstone for people born between October 22 and November 20. When these people wear or keep red carnelian, they will enjoy new-found courage and energy as well as love and passion, all benefits linked to carnelian meaning.
Carnelian Zodiac Sign
Red carnelian, also called sard, is the zodiac stone for people born in the sign of Virgo. People born under this sign celebrate their birthdays between August 23 and September 22. Virgo is symbolized by The Virgin or a woman holding wheat. Virgos tend to be reliable, logical people with a good memory and manners. Red carnelian benefits, in keeping with carnelian meaning, fan the flames of desire and passion. Wearing red carnelian or just carrying a red carnelian gemstone could bring new energy to the love life of a Virgo. They are very faithful to their one true love.
Carnelian stone benefits are ideal for the lower chakras. Carnelian chakra healing properties are especially useful for the second or Sacral Chakra and the root or Base Chakra.
The Sacral Chakra is located in the lower abdomen between the pubic bone and navel. It is considered the body's center of gravity and life force. The flow of energy is controlled by this chakra. Information that flows between the body and mind is controlled there. A balanced Sacral Chakra provides more accurate, intuitive thoughts or gut feelings as indicated in carnelian meaning. An unbalanced Sacral Chakra causes confusion, too much dependency on other people and repressed feelings. Fear connected with sex or sensuality, frustration and a suppressed ability to feel joy are common symptoms of an unbalanced Sacral Chakra.
The Base Chakra is located at the tail bone or base of the spine. It is also called the Root Chakra. Red carnelian stones are especially helpful in this area. They help remove blockages that suppress important information concerning yourself and your purpose on Earth, benefits that support carnelian meaning. The Base Chakra is the source of spiritual and physical energy. An unbalanced Base Chakra will result in low energy levels and enthusiasm, resulting in the need to find constant stimulation. A balanced Base Chakra results in renewed stamina and strength. Spiritual energy and a healthy sense of your own power as well as a feeling of independence are benefits of good balance within this chakra, in keeping with carnelian meaning.
How to use carnelian
- Wear a belt with carnelian gemstones on the belt buckle.
- Fasten two carnelian gemstones to a fine chain worn around the hips during meditation. Position one carnelian stone halfway between the pubic bone and navel and the other carnelian stone at the base of the spine.
- Wear rings and bracelets made with carnelian gemstones. The natural proximity of the hands to the Sacral and Base Chakras will provide carnelian benefits throughout the day.