Chakra Balancing with Crystals
Chakras are energy control centers located all along the length of your body. They take in good energy and release bad energy. When any of the chakras are out of balance or clogged, they stop functioning properly and cause problems with the other chakras. Crystals facilitate the opening, cleansing and balancing of the chakras with their color energies and vibrations.
Chakra Crystal Kits
Chakra crystal kits are readily available on-line. A basic kit will contain 7 gemstones for the main chakras.
- 1 red or black crystal for the 1st or root/base chakra
- 1 orange gemstone for the 2nd or sacral/navel chakra
- 1 yellow crystal for the 3rd or solar plexus chakra
- 1 green or pink gemstone for the 4th or heart chakra
- 1 blue crystal for the 5th or throat chakra
- 1 purple or indigo stone for the 6th or Third Eye Chakra
- 1 violet or white crystal for the 7th or crown chakra
There are kits with 8, 9 or 10 crystals. They will have a black or brown crystal for the earth star chakra, a pink or turquoise gemstone for the higher heart chakra and a white crystal for the soul star chakra.
Hand-picked Chakra Crystals
You may buy your gemstones separately to make you own kit. This is a good way to get chakra crystals that are more in-tune to you personally. Usually, when you are choosing crystals, you will intuitively choose gemstones that are better suited to you. If you do select your own crystals, buy gemstones that are similar in size. The crown chakra crystal should be a single-terminated crystal, which means it is pointed at one end. A 1- to 2-inch long crystal works well but it can be longer, if you prefer.
Many different stones work well for balancing and cleansing each chakra. If you are drawn to a particular gemstone, you will probably find that some particular attributes of that crystal address problems that you need help with.
- Red garnet is good for the root or base chakra, increases willpower and improves circulation.
- Orange carnelian is excellent for the sacral or navel chakra, encourages emotional stability and increases motivation.
- Yellow citrine works well at the solar plexus chakra while it improves short term memory and fights Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
- Rose quartz helps open, balance and cleanse the heart chakra while it reduces tension and improves skin conditions.
- Turquoise is good for the throat chakra, helps control panic attacks and improves the digestive system.
- Deep purple-blue or indigo amethyst crystals are great for the Third Eye Chakra, balance hormone production and curb addictive behavior.
- Clear quartz crystals are used at the crown chakra. They are master healers that improve spiritual communication and help improve the circulatory system.
Clear and program your new crystals as soon as you get them home. Clearing them will cleanse away any negative energies they may have picked up during the mining process and handling. Programming the gemstones imprints your personal goals on them or basically tells them what you need from them. They will also need to be cleansed after you use them to clear away the negativity they removed from your chakras. Depending on the gemstone, they can be rinsed with water, soaked in saltwater or buried in brown rice to cleanse them. Be cautious as water, salt and saltwater can damage some types of crystals. Exposure to sunlight and moonlight will help to re-energize your crystals but, here again, be careful. The color of some crystals will fade in direct sunlight.
Set aside 10 to 20 minutes when you will not be disturbed. Put a “Do Not Disturb” sign on the doorknob, close the door and turn off the phone.
Put on comfy clothes and lie down on your back wherever you are most at ease. The floor, the couch, a reclining chair or a bed all work equally well.
Place the crystals on your body. Start at the bottom and work your way up.
- The root chakra stone goes just above your crotch.
- The sacral or navel chakra stone goes on your belly, 2 to 3 inches below your navel.
- The solar plexus chakra crystal goes on your belly, 2 to 3 inches above your navel.
- The heart chakra crystal goes on the center of your chest.
- The throat chakra stone is placed at the center of your throat.
- The Third Eye Chakra crystal goes between your eyebrows just above your nose.
- The crown chakra crystal goes on the floor, bed, couch or chair 1 to 2 inches above the top of your head with the pointed end pointing at your head.
Close your eyes and take several deep, cleansing breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth. Imagine there are silver tree roots encircling your ankles that extend through your feet down deep into the earth to ground yourself. Quiet your mind and lay completely still for 10 to 20 minutes while the crystals work to clear and balance your chakras. Let any thoughts that come to mind simply drift away. If any are particularly persistent, it may help to visualize yourself gently swatting them away with the back of your hand.
Remove the crystals in reverse order when you are done. Start with the crown chakra stone and work your way down from the top. Cleanse the gemstones and put them away.
Crystal meditation should be done two to three times each week but you can do it every day. It is especially helpful to clear and balance the chakras more often when you are going through a particularly stressful time. This type of meditation also helps alleviate pain like headaches or lower back pain.