Citrine is one of the very few truly yellow gemstones. Natural citrine is actually yellow quartz. Its' bright, cheery, yellow citrine color has been a major determining factor in citrine meaning throughout the centuries. Exercise caution when buying citrine. Due to the rarity of this gemstone, some gems sold as citrine may not be true citrine.
Citrine was first appreciated as a golden-yellow gemstone in Greece between 300 and 150 BC in the Hellenistic Age. The yellow quartz was used prior to that to adorn jewelry and tools but it was not highly sought-after.
Citrine stone is believed to have been the tenth stone in the breastplate of Aaron, although it may have been beryl or topaz. In the book of Exodus, the tenth stone was called chrysolitus which translates to "golden stone" in Greek.
Citrine stone was used by weapon makers in 17th century Scotland. Yellow quartz gemstones were used to adorn the handles of daggers. Occasionally, the entire handle of a dagger would be made from a large citrine rock.
Citrine was given the British royal nod in the 1800's, thanks to Queen Victoria's love of the yellow quartz. The Queen used citrine gemstones extensively to decorate a summer residence constructed by her and Prince Albert in 1852. Due to this new appreciation for citrine gemstones, their use in Scottish shoulder brooches and kilt pins flourished.
During the Art Deco period in the 1930's and 1940's, citrine stone became all the rage. The yellow quartz was used to adorn clothing and jewelry as well as appliances, furniture and decorative items for the home. Citrine rock was even used in architecture.
True citrine has become rather rare. A true citrine rock is nearly transparent with various levels of yellow color. They may be nearly clear or colorless with only a hint of yellow or have a deep golden or honey-brown color. Many quartz stones sold as citrine are actually heat-treated amethyst or smoky quartz. This is not really as bad as it seems. The faux citrine is still a type of quartz. It is something that must be kept in mind, though, when buying citrine specifically for natural citrine healing properties. While natural and heated citrine crystals are all quartz, they are different types of quartz that vibrate at different levels and impart different benefits. Faux citrine crystals have an orange or reddish hue that develops during the heating process.
The yellow quartz got its current name from the French. Citrine was derived from the French word citron which means lemon. Throughout the centuries, citrine stone has also been called gold topaz, Madeira, Spanish topaz and safranite.
Citrine crystal meaning is based on the yellow hues in citrine color. Citrine meaning is all about personal will, free thinking and the realization of hopes and dreams. Yellow citrine stone meaning is connected to the comfort, warmth and power given by the sunlight. The yellow quartz energizes, breathing new life into anyone who uses it for its citrine healing properties. Citrine meaning also has to do with new beginnings, new pursuits and living a full life. Citrine crystals vibrate at a frequency that encourages creativity and facilitates the transformation of hope and dreams into reality.
True citrine meaning includes efficient handling of negative energy. Citrine crystals absorb negative energies from the body and environment, in keeping with citrine meaning. However, this yellow quartz never has to be cleansed or cleared of the negative energy. There are only two crystals that never have to be cleansed and citrine is one of them. Citrine stones dissipate negative energy naturally by transmuting it and dispelling it safely into the ground.
Problems associated with negative energy can manifest in obvious, physical ways or in more subtle ways that are less easily detected. The healing properties of citrine help alleviate these problems, in keeping with citrine meaning.
Citrine stone benefits relationships of all types, in keeping with citrine meaning. The removal of negative feelings and reduction in negativity from everyone involved in the relationship promotes healthier interpersonal relationships. A renewed sense of understanding permeates the group, facilitating healthier perceptions and an improved ability to handle the perceptions of others, which supports citrine meaning.
Increased wealth and prosperity are included in citrine meaning. Citrine stones are also known as The Merchant's Stone for this very reason. Citrine power facilitates gaining wealth and retaining wealth. Citrine meaning includes abundance in general. Citrine power promotes generosity, too, encouraging the sharing of wealth and prosperity to enjoy a broader spectrum of citrine benefits, in keeping with citrine meaning. A true citrine gemstone placed in the wallet or purse can help bring money in and restrict excessive spending.
Citrine benefits extend into the career realm, especially for those working in banking, casinos, the media and sales as well as fitness and sports instructors. People working in the fields of government and medicine are fortified by citrine power, in keeping with citrine meaning. Citrine benefits in the areas of creativity and imagination, supported by citrine meaning, are helpful for artists.
Citrine powers in keeping with citrine meaning can be imparted to a newborn child. A gift of an angel figurine or sphere made from citrine stone can impart confidence, curiosity, happiness, good health, intelligence and healing wisdom to the child.
Spiritual healing properties of true citrine are especially beneficial to people who are extremely sensitive and vulnerable to the energy and influence of others. Yellow quartz enhances the light around the body to provide protection to the aura.
How to use citrine:
- Wear yellow citrine gemstone jewelry of any kind.
- Wear true citrine gemstone earrings for improved clarity and greater spiritual vision.
- Carry a yellow quartz crystal in a pocket, purse or wallet.
- Wear a talisman made from a true yellow citrine crystal around the neck to bolster confidence and feel secure.
- Use a citrine mala or prayer beads.
- Place true citrine tumblestones in an area where the light reflects through them to clear away negative, unfriendly spirits, in keeping with citrine meaning.
- Sprinkle true citrine elixir throughout an affected area or home to protect against the return of the negative spiritual energy.
True citrine in cathedral form is especially helpful for people suffering from feelings of inadequacy, both emotional and physical. Cathedral form citrine is a citrine crystal formation that has a taller point at the center with slightly shorter, pointed parallel formations around it. The resulting overall shape is reminiscent of the shape of a cathedral. The spiritual healing properties of true citrine in cathedral form address the core cause of the problem to fix the underlying belief. Citrine power imparts a more positive outlook that supports spiritual growth, in keeping with citrine meaning.
True citrine crystal meaning in the world of Divination states: A time to communicate your ideas and needs clearly.
True citrine crystals can strengthen a connection with a guardian angel. The citrine color preferred by the guardian angel varies somewhat.
- Light yellow citrine is preferred by the guardian angel Lauvia or Laviah. It should be worn by people born from May 11 to 15, June 11 to 15 and June 22 to 26 for a stronger connection.
- Dark yellow citrine is preferred by the guardian angels Nith-Haiah or Nithhaja, Omael, Pahaliah and Seheiah or Sehijah. It should be worn by people born from June 27 to July 1, July 23 to July 27, August 7 to August 12 and August 18 to August 22.
- Yellow citrine in any shade is preferred by the guardian angel Nithael who is connected to people born between December 17 and 21. Any yellow citrine color is also preferred by Achaiah, the guardian angel for people born between April 21 and 25.
Citrine meaning in Feng Shui is fire energy, although it is a slightly subdued fire energy. The sunny yellow citrine color is at the root of citrine meaning in Feng Shui. It imparts cheerfulness, energy and light throughout a room or home. Yellow represents the middle - the middle of the space and the middle of the year. The yellow quartz energizes and vitalizes any area in the home.
How to use citrine:
- Place a citrine stone figurine at the center of a room or home.
- Put a handful of citrine tumblestones into a shallow dish and place them at the center of the room or home.
The physical healing properties of citrine stem from its energizing citrine properties. True citrine can help bolster energy and increase stamina, in keeping with citrine meaning. Nerve impulses may be enhanced with citrine, improving intelligence and wisdom as well as the ability to concentrate. Short-term memory problems may be alleviated by citrine powers. Citrine benefits can be utilized to combat Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and degenerative diseases. True citrine is believed to help provide balance in the thyroid and curb the progress of growths.
Citrine properties may also improve digestion and increase health in the pancreas and spleen. True citrine healing properties are believed to include relief from bladder and kidney infections and may help reduce bed wetting. Allergic reactions to chemicals and foods, including skin irritation, may be reduced through the use of citrine crystals.
Citrine crystals may improve hair, nails and skin. True citrine elixir is believed to reduce symptoms associated with menstruation and menopause. Citrine power is thought to enhance hormone balance and reduce the impact of hot flashes and fatigue, as supported by citrine meaning. Nausea and vomiting as well as morning sickness are said to be relieved with the use of citrine.
How to use citrine:
- Wear true citrine jewelry to enjoy citrine benefits in keeping with citrine meaning.
- Taking a citrine elixir may bolster energy and assist people who are highly sensitive to outside influences. Both benefits deeply rooted in citrine meaning. The common dosage is 5 to 10 drops.
- Keep a citrine crystal or tumblestone in a pocket when at home or at work.
- Leave a citrine stone on your desk or a nearby table so the vibrations can reach you when you are nearby.
True citrine emotional healing powers center on self-empowerment and healthy self-esteem. Negative feelings are more easily released with the use of citrine crystals, as supported by citrine meaning. Citrine powers are very helpful for people struggling with depression. Sensitivity to criticism can be reduced while self-expression and creativity are enhanced. Citrine stone benefits encourage people to let go of the past and move on with their lives optimistically, as supported by citrine meaning.
Citrine crystals support emotional healing by defending against jealousy and spite while encouraging happiness and love, as supported by citrine meaning. The yellow quartz can provide protection against heartbreakers.
True citrine should not be used for emotional healing by people with a naturally aggressive or fiery temperament. Citrine crystals should also not be used by people who tend to gossip and slander. True citrine powers can exacerbate these problems.
True citrine is extremely helpful when used in meditation. Citrine is a strong purifier of the will center, as supported by citrine meaning. Citrine crystals assist with the identification of issues related to the abuse of power and the resulting sense of helplessness. A clearer understanding of what must be done to resolve the problem can be achieved with the help of citrine meditation. A renewed sense of self-empowerment and raised self-esteem, as supported by citrine stone meaning, will bolster the courage required to find the correct path and take action to resolve the problem.
How to use citrine:
- Wear citrine jewelry while meditating.
- Wear citrine earrings while meditating to help clear the mind.
- Hold a citrine crystal while meditating.
Citrine meditation imparts interior and exterior warmth, as expected based on citrine meaning. It is believed to bring the golden Light Force into the physical world.
Citrine is the traditional birthstone for people born in June and the modern birthstone for people born in November.
Yellow quartz is the natural citrine birthstone of people born between June 21 and July 21. Citrine imparts clarity, enlightenment, optimism and warmth to people born at this time of year. Gold citrine is the natural birthstone for people born between July 22 and August 21. This citrine color imparts enthusiasm, happiness, success and power to people born during this time, in keeping with citrine meaning.
Citrine Zodiac Sign
Citrine stone is the Zodiac birthstone for people born under the sign of Cancer and Leo. The yellow quartz colors represent summer light and warmth, the sun at the center of the universe and the summer season as the middle part of the year.
- People born under the zodiac sign Cancer celebrate their birthdays between June 21 and July 22. This sign is symbolized on the zodiac wheel with a crab.
- People born under the zodiac sign Leo celebrate their birthdays between July 23 and August 22. Leo is the zodiac sign symbolized by the lion.
True citrine vibrates at a level that greatly benefits the Sacral or Navel and Solar Plexus Chakras. Personal power, creativity and good decision-making skills are citrine benefits imparted with citrine chakra, which supports citrine meaning. Yellow citrine color of true citrine crystals can also be used with the Crown Chakra and the Third Eye or Brow Chakra. The pure energy released can be channeled down from the Crown Chakra to the Navel and Solar Plexus Chakras.
The Sacral or Navel Chakra is located halfway between the navel and pubic bone. The Solar Plexus Chakra is located between the bottom of the breast bone and the navel. The Crown Chakra is located on the top of the head. The Third Eye or Brow Chakra is located just above the bridge of the nose between the eyebrows.
How to use citrine:
- Wear a pendant made from a terminated golden-yellow true citrine crystal with a gold setting. The termination point, or pointed end of the crystal, must point down so the energy from the Crown Chakra is channeled down into the body.
- Wear a pair of citrine earrings. Their close proximity to the Third Eye will provide citrine stone benefits while they are worn.
- Wear a belt buckle adorned with citrine gemstones to keep them near the Navel and Solar Plexus Chakras.
- Wear citrine gemstone rings and bracelets. This placement will keep the citrine near the Navel and Solar Plexus Chakra.
- Wear a hip chain or loose belt adorned with a citrine gemstone. Position the citrine gemstone directly over the Sacral or Navel Chakra.