Obsidian is a very glossy, shiny, smooth crystal because it is actually volcanic glass formed by lava from a volcanic eruption. Even though it is sometimes called royal agate and glass agate, it isn't actually a type of agate or stone at all. Obsidian doesn't have a crystalline structure that would classify it as a stone or true mineral. This crystal has many uses, though, which are all connected to obsidian meaning.
The use of obsidian dates back hundreds of thousands of years to the Stone Age. Early man discovered that obsidian was easy to chip into sharp shapes. They would chip pieces of the volcanic glass into arrowheads, sharp cutting implements and pottery. Obsidian was also one of the first materials to be formed, polished and used as mirrors.
Ancient Mesoamericans used the black glassy crystals as tools and chipped or carved them into decorative shapes. They sharpened obsidian blades and attached them to wooden handles to make very effective weapons. Native Americans traded obsidian beads, figurines and arrowheads. The famous Moai statues on Rapa Nui or Easter Island were made with obsidian. They used small pieces of obsidian for the eyes. The people on Rapa Nui also chipped obsidian into sharp blades.
Used throughout history by alchemists, light workers, shamans and spiritualists, obsidian has long been believed to have strong healing powers. This is especially true in matters of the heart, but not just in the romantic sense. Although, one of obsidian's more mysterious attributes is its ability to reflect a distant lover's face.
John Dee, an Elizabethan astrologer, magician and mathematician, used an obsidian Aztec cult mirror to do research on the occult. John Dee had the mirror back in the late 1500's to early 1600's. It is currently in the British Museum.
Famous archaeologist Howard Carter and Lord Carnarvon unearthed an obsidian and gold necklace known as The Necklace of Renisenib from the Nile Valley in 1910. The necklace, believed to be from around 1810 to 1700 BC, is currently at the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art.
We don't know what it was called back in the Stone Age, but they began calling the volcanic glass obsidian in Ancient Rome. It was named after a Roman discoverer known as Obsius who discovered a stone that is similar to obsidian.
Obsidian is predominately glossy black, but it also forms in various colors and with streaks, banding and even fine lines that resemble a web. Spider web obsidian, for example, has an intricate pattern of fine lines that resemble a web. There is also a rare type of obsidian that is colorless. Obsidian color comes from its magnesium and iron content. Mahogany obsidian has deep red-mahogany or brown bands. Rainbow obsidian has a green, gold, blue, silver or violet-purple iridescence. The various colors are caused by augitic pyroxene in the volcanic glass. Sheen obsidian has a silver or gold sheen that is called aventurescence. Obsidian known as flame or fire obsidian contains nanometric magnetite crystal layers that reflect brilliant, colorful hues. There is also orange pumpkin obsidian, purple plum obsidian and a light yellowish-green transparent obsidian called macusanite that is mined in Peru. Apache Tears obsidian comes from the American Southwest. It is opaque or translucent brown, orange or red volcanic glass with black streaks.
Obsidian meaning is deeply rooted in its reflective nature. It reflects deep truths, some of which may be difficult to accept. Obsidian cuts through illusions to reveal the reality of a situation, interactions or intentions of others and yourself. It allows you to see clearly through the facade that many people hide behind.
It has long been used in scrying, because of its reflective surface and ability to reveal ancient truths. Communication with the spirit world has often been enhanced with this glossy black volcanic glass.
Obsidian has a strong grounding energy, keeping you well grounded in this realm and in reality. It is very good for deep meditation because of this attribute. Maintaining a firm hold on reality and within the Earth realm ties into the heart of obsidian meaning.
Fortunately, obsidian is a very supportive and protective crystal. It imparts the strength to face the realities it reflects, in keeping with obsidian meaning, so that you can deal with any issues that you need to work through.
Obsidian is a very protective stone, guarding against negativity from others and yourself.
The spiritual healing properties of obsidian crystals are perfect for people who find their faith and spiritual beliefs faltering. Its ability to keep one well-grounded in one's own truths and beliefs will help you stay on your spiritual path.
Obsidian's wonderful protective powers will keep negativity at bay. It will protect you while you regain the strength of your convictions. Those who would attempt to undermine your personal beliefs will be thwarted when you use obsidian for spiritual healing.
Obsidian's meaning in Divination varies, depending on the type. Black obsidian meaning in Divination states: You have a great deal of power you can use to improve a situation or relationship if you are not afraid to change the status quo and maybe tread on a few toes.
Obsidian attracts certain Angels to those who are born during a particular time of year. Following is a list of Guardian Angels who are attracted to obsidian and the birthdates of the people to whom they are attracted:
- Brown obsidian attracts the Guardian Angel Mehiel to people who are born from February 5 to 9, Damabiah for people born between February 10 and 14 or Rehael for people who were born between October 4 and 8.
- Black obsidian attracts the Guardian Angel Haiaiel or Hajael to people born from March 11 to 15, Haziel to people born between May 1 and 5, Hahaiah or Hahajah to people born from May 16 to 20, Vasiariah to people born between August 29 and September 2 or Sealiah to people born from November 3 to 7.
- Silver sheen obsidian attracts the Guardian Angel Mebahel to people born from May 26 to 31.
Black volcanic glass crystals impart water energy when used in Feng Shui. They support quiet strength and stillness within the household when placed in the North within a room or home. A black obsidian mirror placed opposite a lighter mirror provides a wonderful balance of active and calm energies that works its way all through the living space.
How to use obsidian for spiritual healing:
- Hold an obsidian mala or prayer beads during prayer or while reciting a mantra.
- Wear obsidian jewelry, like a necklace, bracelet or earrings, to keep the strengthening, truth-revealing benefits with you throughout the day.
- Carry obsidian tumble stones or a worry stone with you to hold during difficult moments.
- Keep an obsidian figurine or bowl of tumble stones on your desk at work or on a table near where you sit at home.
Physical healing properties of obsidian are connected to circulatory system health, digestive health, wound healing and detoxification. It is believed to speed healing of sprains, bruises and sores. Obsidian can also help relieve pain, relax tense muscles and aid in the release of tension from excess stress.
Obsidian healing properties assist with recovery from substance addiction and excessive behaviors. It can strengthen your will to help you give up smoking, excessive drinking, drug dependency and overeating. Obsidian also aids in detoxification by improving blood circulation.
How to use obsidian for physical healing:
- Wear volcanic glass crystal bracelets to keep the healing energies near the lower part of the body.
- Carry obsidian tumble stones or worry stones with you. Hold them or rub them between finger and thumb when you feel your strength wavering when trying to overcome addiction.
- Place an obsidian crystal on an injury or as close to it as possible to speed healing or relieve pain.
- Lie down and place an obsidian crystal on your forehead to aid in the release of tension.
Obsidian emotional healing properties assist with recovery from the realization of deep truths that could be quite upsetting. It imparts the strength needed to deal with harsh truths about yourself and others. Obsidian also protects you from extreme negativity, both from yourself and from others.
This volcanic glass crystal is wonderful for recovering from or preventing depression and unhealthy behavior caused by physical and emotional abuse. It protects and comforts you while you contemplate the harsh truths of an abusive situation. These glossy black crystals give you the clarity needed to see a situation for what it is and the strength to recover. This is especially helpful when the abuse has caused or exacerbated an unhealthy lifestyle that only encourages additional harsh treatment from others and yourself.
How to use obsidian for emotional healing:
- Wear a bracelet, necklace and earrings adorned with obsidian.
- Carry an obsidian gemstone in your purse or pocket. If you begin to experience upsetting thoughts or feelings, hold the gemstone in your hand for a few moments for strength.
- Place a bowl of obsidian tumble stones or figurine on your desk at work or near where you sit at home.
- Put an obsidian crystal in your car for protection against negativity.
Using obsidian while meditating will protect you from negativity and keep you well grounded. This black volcanic glass crystal also clears negativity from your mind and aura. If you have had a stressful day and need to release negativity that has built up throughout the day, obsidian will help.
Obsidian is ideal for deep meditation and exploration of hidden truths that may extend all the way back to past lives. This black volcanic glass will enhance your meditative state of mind, bringing you into its dark glossy depths. It is good for spiritual communication and can help you connect with your spirit guide. Obsidian may awaken or enhance clairvoyance during quiet meditation.
Use black obsidian balls in meditation with extreme caution. This is truly a very powerful crystal that will reveal deeply buried truths which could be quite upsetting. Smaller black obsidian pieces should be used by beginners. Wait until you have had experience with smaller, less powerful obsidian crystals and have dealt with and recovered from hidden truths that they revealed before you use a black obsidian ball for meditation. If you do use an obsidian ball, have selenite and rose quartz on hand in case you are overwhelmed with fear, self-disgust and despair. Cover the ball right away with a cloth when this occurs. Cleanse your aura with the selenite and rose quartz so you can regain a calm state of mind. Use the ball sparingly, only every few months, and have a 6" clear quartz wand or generator quartz on hand to provide balance and make the obsidian ball meditation less upsetting.
Snowflake obsidian is a gentler type of obsidian. It may be better for people who have been deeply traumatized or are suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
How to use obsidian in meditation:
- Hold a small piece of obsidian in your hands while you reach a quiet, meditative state.
- Hold or finger an obsidian mala while meditating.
- Set an obsidian figurine, crystal or gemstone on an altar or table at eye level. Focus on it while meditating.
Obsidian is a modern birthstone of people born in November.
OBSIDIAN ZODIAC SIGN
Mahogany obsidian is one of the modern zodiac gemstones for people born under the sign of Libra. People born under this sign celebrate their birthday between September 23 and October 22. Black and snowflake obsidian are modern birthstones for people born under the sign of Sagittarius. These people celebrate their birthdays between November 22 and December 21. Blue obsidian is a modern birthstone for people born under the sign of Aquarius. They celebrate their birthdays between January 20 and February 18.
Obsidian resonates with the base or root chakra and the earthstar chakra. It also may activate the Third Eye. Use obsidian to clear negative energies from these chakras and strengthen your connection within this earthly realm. The earthstar chakra isn't one of the main chakras but it is an important one. It is located just below and between your feet. If you tend to feel spacy and disconnected, especially after meditation, use obsidian to ground yourself.
How to use obsidian for your chakras:
- Sit on the floor with your legs outstretched. Hold an obsidian crystal between and just below your feet for a few minutes to clear and activate your earthstar chakra.
- Stand with your feet flat on the floor a comfortable distance apart. Place the obsidian on the floor between your feet to activate your earthstar chakra.
- Lie down and place an obsidian stone on the root chakra, which is located at the pubic bone.
- Lie down and place an obsidian crystal over your Third Eye to try to activate it. This may or may not work. It could help enhance or awaken clairvoyance or another natural extrasensory gift.
Cleanse your obsidian crystals after every use. They absorb negativity constantly, especially if you are utilizing their healing properties to work through troubles. Rinse them under tepid water then dry them with a soft, clean cloth.