The incredibly beautiful and variable jasper stone is as wonderful to simply gaze upon as it is to wear or use in meditation. With its long and storied history, it is truly fascinating.
There are many different types of jaspers, with colors and patterns that can be truly astounding. Each kind of jasper crystal has its own particular uses and history, but all of them share the same basic meaning.
Jasper has adorned people, been used as a talisman and been utilized to heal people since the beginning of time. Evidence of jasper stones exists in connection with civilizations in every corner of the world. Kings, priests and shamans thought of jasper as a crystal for protection. They wore it to protect themselves from harm originating in the spiritual and physical world. Ancient Egyptians engraved jasper rocks with passages from the Book of the Dead then buried them with their dead to insure safety on the journey to the great beyond.
Signet rings, important seals and talismans were commonly carved from jasper. Religious and astrological engravings were done on jasper rocks. It was known as “the rain bringer” to Native Americans and people during medieval times. They prized these colorful, opaque stones for their ability to help people find water and frequently used them in dowsing.
Jasper was used as the twelfth stone on the Jewish High Priest’s breastplate. The Apostle Peter’s name is believed to have been derived from the name Jasper.
Jasper is a type of quartz. It is generally categorized as a chalcedony stone, although some experts believe it should be classified as a different type of rock due to its grainy structure. The Ancient Greeks named the stone jasper, which meant “spotted stone” because of its huge variety of color patterns.
Jasper stones of all types earned the moniker “Supreme Nurturer” in ancient times due to its healing, comforting and strengthening vibrational energies. It has a slow vibration rate that is in tune with the Earth’s electromagnetic energies. This crystal is always grounding, balancing, soothing and stabilizing. Jasper’s energy imparts a sense of inner peace and understanding that we are a part of something greater than ourselves. It tends to inspire people to be giving and supportive of others, too.
There are far too many different types of jasper to list them all here; however, the following is a good sampling of the more commonly seen jaspers:
Blue jasper gemstones form in any shade of blue imaginable. These stones can have spots, circles, swirls, veining like marble or any combination of patterns. The meaning at the heart of blue jasper is all about confidence, courage and the strength of one’s convictions. It is an excellent stone for people who need to stand up for themselves or want to stand up for others at the risk of being ridiculed. It is a good crystal for children and teenagers who need to have strength in the face of peer pressure. Blue jasper gemstones are natural heart chakra stones. Blue crystals are always calming and encouraging.
Yellow jasper is generally a golden, burnished, mustard or sandy yellow. It, too, can have nearly any pattern in the stone. This type of jasper is ideal for people who tend to worry excessively. When it is worn continuously, it calms the worried mind and imparts a sense of confidence. It is a protective stone that guards the wearer from negativity, from others and from oneself. This is a great jasper for learning. Yellow jasper is a solar plexus or naval chakra gemstone.
Green jasper can be any shade of green, from light green to deep green or olive green. It is especially useful for eradicating bad thoughts, soothing the spirit, chasing away ghosts and encouraging rainfall. It is also believed to enhance fertility. This is an excellent jasper for people who tend to become obsessive and lose control of themselves. Green jasper is excellent for improving sleeping habits and restoring harmony in one’s life. Green jasper in any shade is a heart and root chakra stone.
Mookaite jasper forms in shades of red or rose and is marbled with brown, cream, tan or white bands. This jasper hails from Mooka Creek, Australia and is considered the Aboriginal Mother Earth gemstone. It imparts a strong healing energy that enhances one’s life force. Mookaite jasper is good for the Solar Plexus, Sacral and Root chakras, depending on which color is dominant in a particular crystal.
Unakite jasper is a combination of green and pink, making it a powerful stone of the heart. It is highly supportive of harmony in relationships of all types. Unakite is also good for breaking bad habits and thought patterns as well as letting go of deeply engrained behaviors and emotions. This jasper encourages these changes gently and slowly though. You may not even realize what’s going on until you finally realize you no longer want to continue a bad habit or hold onto an unhealthy state of mind. This pink and green jasper is wonderful for the heart chakra.
Jasper’s spiritual healing properties are wonderful for strengthening one’s spiritual awareness and understanding the sacred connection between all life in nature. It is an uplifting gemstone that helps one see the good in others and find harmonious balance. Various types of jasper impart their own special spiritual healing attributes.
Kambaba jasper, for example, is ideal for becoming more confident in one’s spirituality. It is also beneficial for finding inner peace and accessing knowledge held by ancestral energies. This jasper is also very protective, allowing one to explore their spirituality without the threat of negativity. Kambaba is a green jasper with an intricate pattern of lighter and darker shades of green.
Kambaba jasper meaning in Divination states: Ask if the changes being planned are necessary to bring improvement or are just for their own sake.
The Archangels Haniel and Sandalphon are attached to jasper. Other Angels and Guardian Angels are attracted to specific types of jasper.
Jasper crystals and figurines are wonderful for use in Feng Shui. How they should be used and where they should be placed within the home depends entirely on the type of jasper.
How to use jasper in spiritual healing:
- Hold jasper prayer beads or a jasper mala while praying or reciting a mantra.
- Wear jasper bracelets, necklaces and earrings to enjoy their constant spiritual support throughout your day.
- Keep a jasper tumble stone or worry stone with you. If you begin to feel challenged, simply hold the jasper in your hand or rub it between finger and thumb.
Physical healing properties of jasper include tissue restoration, especially for internal organs. It is used to treat digestive and urinary tract disorders. Jasper is believed to balance mineral content within the body, too. This gemstone has been used to stop nosebleeds, reduce the swelling of hemorrhoids, treat gout, improve one’s sense of smell and calm epilepsy.
How to use jasper:
- Wear jasper jewelry that holds the gemstone near the affected area.
- Keep a jasper stone in your pocket when treating a UTI or digestive tract disorder.
- Put a jasper crystal on the abdomen while lying down to improve digestion.
- Take a jasper elixir.
Jasper is a wonderful stone for emotional healing. It imparts a calm, soothing energy, compassion, humility and patience, for others and for oneself. Jasper builds confidence, reduces insecurities and supports a healthy need to move forward in one’s life. It also helps one let go of overwhelming feelings of guilt and unrealistic fears that only serve to inhibit healing and moving forward.
How to use jasper:
- Wear jasper necklaces, earrings, bracelets and rings to maintain your confidence and continue to encourage forward progress.
- Take a jasper elixir to enjoy the gemstone’s healing vibrations throughout your entire body.
- Keep a jasper crystal tumble stone or worry stone with you in a pocket, tucked in your bra or in your purse. If you begin to feel overwhelmed or like your strength and confidence is wavering, take the stone out and hold it or rub it between finger and thumb until you feel calm and confident again.
- Keep a jasper figurine, pyramid, obelisk or a small bowl of tumble stones on your desk at work and nearby at home.
Meditation with jasper is calming and very grounding. It is a wonderful stone to use for reconnecting with Mother Earth. Jasper provides balance and harmony during meditation. It can also give one the courage for deeper exploration and protection from negative energies that could hamper forward progress. Jasper also helps one reach a quiet, meditative state more quickly.
How to do jasper meditation:
- Hold a jasper stone or figurine in your hand and focus on it while you shift into a meditative state.
- Place a bowl of jasper tumble stones, a figurine, an obelisk or a pyramid on a table at eye level and use it as a focal point while you meditate.
Jasper is an historical birthstone for people who are born during the month of March. It is also the natural birthstone for many people. Different types of jasper are considered natural birthstones for people born during certain times of year.
JASPER ZODIAC SIGN
Jasper zodiac sign birthstones belong to the following:
- Ocean jasper is the zodiac stone for people born under the zodiac sign of Capricorn. They celebrate their birthday between December 22 and January 19.
- Rainforest jasper is the zodiac stone for people born under the zodiac sign of Aquarius. They celebrate their birthday between January 20 and February 18.
- Kambaba jasper is the modern birthstone for people born under the zodiac sign of Pisces. They celebrate their birthday between February 19 and March 20.
Jasper is an incredibly grounding stone for chakra meditation. It is primarily a Root or Base chakra stone, but various types of jasper also benefit other chakras. Jasper is balancing, harmonizing, cleansing and energizing.
How to use jasper to activate, cleanse and balance your chakras:
- Lie down and place a jasper stone on each chakra. Use whichever type of jasper resonates with the chakra on which it is placed.
- Begin at the Root chakra and work your way up.
- Leave the stones on the chakras for at least 10 to 15 minutes then remove them in reverse order.
You can also wear jasper jewelry near its corresponding chakra to activate, cleanse and balance your chakras. This is a great way to just keep your chakras in good shape throughout the day.
Cleanse your jasper stones frequently, especially if you are using them often on your chakras or to meditate. They are tough crystals that can be cleansed by simply holding them under running water for a few minutes. Don’t hesitate to wash them in tepid water with mild dish soap if they get dirty.