Bloodstone is a beautiful, blue-green, blue-gray or green crystal that often has blood-red, brown or tan splotches. It is a type of translucent or opaque chalcedony quartz that is also called heliotrope or blood jasper.
This crystal has long been valued for its protective qualities as well as its ability to heal the body physically, emotionally and spiritually. Beyond that, it is a lovely gemstone that makes wonderful jewelry and is often carved into figurines.
The history of bloodstone stretches over 5,000 years. It was used in Mesopotamia to heal wounds, detoxify the blood and improve blood circulation. With its red splotches that resemble blood, these original uses at the heart of bloodstone meaning and the crystal’s name make perfect sense.
In ancient Mesopotamia, they would dip one of the green gemstones in cold water and put it on various areas of the body to improve circulation. They also believed it would transfer the healing powers of the sun into the body and prevent diseases. Heliotrope was also placed on bleeding wounds to stem the bleeding and enhance healing. This amazing ability to speed blood coagulation is a big part of bloodstone meaning. Ancient soldiers and warriors commonly kept a heliotrope crystal with them for protection during battle and to use for healing when they were wounded. It also inspired the warriors to be more courageous.
Ancient healers would use heliotrope to treat tumors through detoxification. They believed it would actually draw out toxins that caused the tumors. They would grind the crystals up into a fine powder, mix it with honey and apply it to the tumor topically like a salve. Ground bloodstone was also used to pull toxic venom out of snake bites. The ancients claimed the salve would clear infection from abscessed tissue within one day. It was also believed that gazing upon a heliotrope crystal would help protect people from getting diseases of the eye.
Throughout bloodstone’s history, it has been believed to bring respect, fame and fortune to whomever possessed it. This gemstone has a reputation for insuring a positive outcome in battles of all type, including those that take place in the courtroom. It helps protect the person who carries it from deception and could be used to remove evil or negativity from any environment.
Bloodstone crystal meaning is based in the coloring of the gemstone and its many wonderful benefits. Bloodstone or heliotrope was named by the Ancient Greeks. Helios means “sun” and the word trepein, which was transformed to trope, means “to attract.” They believed the green crystal would attract sunlight and the powerful healing benefits of the sun. The Ancient Greeks believed that heliotrope stones would reflect blood-red rays of sunlight when it was placed in water or in the light of the sun as it set in the evening.
Heliotrope gemstones that are predominately green have additional bloodstone meaning. Green crystals are crystals of growth. They strengthen one’s connection with the earth’s energy and life force. These blue-green crystals are all about new creation, growth in every aspect of life and the infusion of fresh, new energy. Also in keeping with its earth connection, bloodstone gemstones support a more nurturing environment that is very supportive of moving forward and creating something new. It is wonderful for encouraging determination and focus. Green bloodstones have long been treasured as talismans for strength, growth and safe travels.
Bloodstones with lots of red splotches, swirls and spots have bloodstone meaning and uses that are similar to the predominately green or entirely green gemstones but with a bit of a twist. They have a more masculine influence and are especially beneficial for serious relationships and enhanced devotion. These heliotrope gemstones inspire energetic passion in one’s personal and professional life. It is highly motivational and can even give one a stronger metabolism. These bloodstones inspire fearlessness in all areas of life and improve one’s confidence.
The spiritual healing properties of these green to blue-green crystals are deeply tied to bloodstone meaning. They inspire courage to help one stay true to his or her personal spiritual beliefs but keep one well-grounded in reality. Bloodstone will enhance insights, inspire intuitiveness and impart a more transcendent understanding of one’s spiritual beliefs, the universe and the divine. Bloodstone encourages sacrifice for the benefit of others and one’s self, inspiring a more altruistic state of mind.
Bloodstone is very protective of the soul, keeping one safe while exploring and strengthening spirituality. It inspires confidence in one’s beliefs by removing any sense of confusion or uncertainty. Negativity and entities that seek to undermine confidence are dispelled by heliotrope. In this way, bloodstone supports letting go of harmful, negative patterns that only serve to prevent improvement in one’s life.
Bloodstone’s meaning in Divination means: You can get what you want with politeness if you stand your ground and repeat your words until you are heard.
The powers of heliotrope in the Angelic Realm can be very helpful to those who celebrate their birthdays at certain times of the year. Following are bloodstone colors that may garner the attention of Guardian Angels:
- Green bloodstones attract the Guardian Angel Nemamiah to people who are born from January 1 to 5, Hakamiah for people born between June 6 and 10 or Yehudiah for people who were born between September 3 and 7.
- Dark green heliotrope attracts the Guardian Angel Sitael or Sirael to people born from March 31 to April 4, Lehahiah to people born between September 8 to 12 and Poiel or Polial to people born between December 27 to 31.
- Bloodstones with lots of red coloring attract the Guardian Angel Mikael to people born from October 19 to 23.
Bloodstone crystals used in Feng Shui impart wood energy. Green heliotrope gemstones impart positive energy within the household for fresh, new beginnings, expansion, nourishment and vitality. Put green bloodstone gemstones in the southeast or east area of a room or home to encourage new beginnings, abundance, prosperity and good health. Green bloodstones are especially useful in a child’s room, kitchen, dining room or an area where a new project is being undertaken.
How to use bloodstone:
- Hold a bloodstone mala or prayer beads during prayer or while reciting a mantra.
- Wear heliotrope gemstone jewelry like a necklace or earrings to keep the supportive, protective vibrations at the heart of bloodstone meaning within the aura throughout the day.
Physical healing properties of bloodstone gemstones focus on the blood, circulation and organs that cleanse the blood. Heliotrope is believed to improve the immune system and detoxify the kidneys, liver, spleen and the blood itself. It is also used to improve the health of the spleen, intestines and bladder. Bloodstone can enhance treatment programs for blood disorders and improve bone marrow. Anemia, serious infections, tumors and excessive acidity can all be treated with heliotrope crystals.
Bloodstone healing properties are wonderful for women of childbearing age and pregnant women. It can even be used to ease childbirth. It can reduce the likelihood of miscarriage, too. Women who aren’t pregnant or trying to get pregnant can use heliotrope to get relief from menstrual problems and PMS. Menopausal women may find that it stabilizes hormone imbalances that cause hot flashes and irritability.
In keeping with bloodstone meaning and the ancient uses of heliotrope, it can be used to slow the flow of blood from wounds or nosebleeds. It can also be used to alleviate low back pain and speed the healing of insect bites.
How to use bloodstone:
- Wear bloodstone crystal jewelry like a bracelet, necklace and earrings.
- Carry heliotrope gemstone tumble stones or worry stones with you.
- Place a bowl of bloodstones near where you often sit, both at work and at home.
- Keep a bloodstone figurine, like an obelisk or pyramid, on your desk at work.
- Soak a few heliotrope tumble stones in distilled water overnight and use it in a cold compress to get relief from hemorrhoids and varicose veins.
The emotional healing properties of bloodstone are conducive to healing old emotional wounds, releasing negativity and moving forward. This green or blue-green gemstone quells negativity and encourages confidence to facilitate letting go of the past and beginning anew. It is emotionally grounding, helping people who are going through healing and transformation to remain confident and strong. This gemstone is especially good for people who have been abandoned by loved ones or bullied by people in their professional and personal life. It will bolster one’s self-esteem, making them feel good about themselves and worthy of the love of others.
Bloodstone gemstones provide insight into dicey situations. It will clarify the best course of action in various situations. Heliotrope can help one see whether he or she should stand steadfast and hold his or her ground or simply withdraw from a situation to avoid making it worse. This is an excellent gemstone for people who are starting a life on their own, whether they are newly single after a divorce or moving away from their parents for the first time.
This is also an excellent gemstone for people who are going through a serious or potentially fatal illness. Bloodstone provides the courage and strength to fight the illness and face one’s own passing with dignity.
How to use bloodstone:
- Wear a heliotrope crystal bracelet, necklace, brooch or earrings.
- Carry a bloodstone tumble stone or worry stone in your purse or pocket. If you feel anxious or overwhelmed during the day or night, take a few quiet moments to hold the stone or rub the worry stone between finger and thumb.
- Place a bowl of heliotrope tumble stones near where you often sit.
- Put a few bloodstone tumble stones in your car to instill calm, protective energy while you travel.
- Keep a bloodstone figurine, obelisk or pyramid on your desk at work.
Bloodstone meditation is excellent for those times when you are beginning a new project, a new stage in life or for protection from negative energy. It imparts a soothing calm that quiets anxiety or distress during quiet meditation. This crystal improves one’s connection with the Divine and helps one to understand that distress and turmoil are a natural part of change, regeneration and moving forward in life.
How to do bloodstone meditation:
- Hold the green or blue-green mineral rock in your hands while you sit directly on the ground. Quiet your mind and remain still to re-connect or strengthen your connection to Mother Earth.
- Hold or finger a bloodstone mala while meditating.
- Set a heliotrope figurine, crystal or gemstone on an altar or table at eye level. Focus on the green chalcedony quartz while meditating.
Bloodstone in any shade of green and with or without red, tan or brown splotches is a natural birthstone for people born in March. Green heliotrope birthstones belong to people born between April 20 and May 20. Wearing green bloodstone jewelry will bring such people improved health and success in new projects.
BLOODSTONE ZODIAC SIGN
Bloodstone crystals are the zodiac gemstones for people born under the zodiac sign of Aries. People born under this sign celebrate their birthday between March 21 and April 19.
Heliotrope is also good for Scorpios. It calms their occasional excessive aggressiveness.
Bloodstone resonates with the base or root chakra and, of course, the heart chakra. Heliotrope energy is very cleansing. Bloodstone is also excellent for realigning all of the lower chakras and is a very good crystal for overall chakra balance. Bloodstone will keep one well-grounded with a very strong Earth Life Force connection.
How to do Bloodstone Chakra cleansing and alignment:
- Lie down and place a heliotrope cabochon, worry stone or gemstone on the root or base chakra and the heart chakra, in that order. Quiet your mind and lie still for 10 to 15 minutes to let the bloodstone work. Remove the crystals in the reverse order when you are finished.
- Wear a bloodstone gemstone necklace while meditating in a seated position. The soothing vibrations will activate the heart chakra and root chakra while you sit quietly.
Cleanse your bloodstone crystals every few days, especially if you are utilizing their healing properties to work through troubles. Rinse them under tepid water then dry them with a soft, clean cloth. Do not expose them to hot water, any form of acidic cleaning solution or ammonia. If the heliotrope crystals get dirty or oily, they can be washed with mild dishwashing soap in tepid water. Be sure to thoroughly rinse them. Heliotrope crystals can be cleansed in brown rice, too.