Often called Fool’s Gold, pyrite is pale gold to brassy-gold or even slightly gray-gold with a dull to glittering metallic sheen. It is also known as iron pyrite or cat’s gold.
This mineral stone has been fooling people for thousands of years. It isn’t gold, but it does have some wonderful metaphysical properties that make it very beneficial in many ways.
The name pyrite originated with the Greek word pyr or pyros which means fire. It was named that because it gives off sparks when hit against any hard surface and when two pieces of pyrite are struck against each other.
Early use of pyrite dates back to ancient Mesoamerica when the Mayans polished slabs of the mineral rock and used them as mirrors. It was also carved into masks and figurines by the Ancient Mayans and Aztecs. The Mayans traded pyrite mirrors with the Anasazi, possibly as far back as 600 A.D.
North American Indians revered pyrite crystals for their incredible powers. They used pyrite medicinally, for divination and to impart magical power while reciting incantations. The pyrite crystals were often carved into amulets and worn as jewelry.
During the 1500’s and 1600’s, pyrite was used in firearms to create a spark when the weapon was fired. People developed an appreciation for pyrite in jewelry in the 1800’s. Pyrite crystals were most often faceted, put in silver settings and called marcasite. Pyrite was used in lithium batteries and radio receivers during the 20th century.
Pyrite meaning has a lot to do with its original use as a mirror. It is an enhancer crystal which means it helps enhance our focus in all aspects of life. Pyrite is also a mirror crystal. It reflects truth and reality that is often hidden from us. We often perceive people and situations inaccurately because of our own experiences or preconceived notions. This applies to our perceptions of ourselves, the way we see others and how we perceive a situation or relationship. Two often-used phrases that are highly applicable to pyrite meaning are: “Looks can be deceiving” and “Don’t judge a book by its cover.” Pyrite looks like something it isn’t and helps us see things more clearly.
Pyrite is a very strong, masculine crystal that contains both Earth and Fire elements. It imparts masculinity, strength, sharp focus, virility and a desire for action. Pyrite is a stone of determination and persistence. It is also a very protective crystal that naturally pulls energy from the earth to strengthen one’s aura against negative energies. When worn by women, it fortifies confidence and raises self-esteem.
This protective mineral stone helps one see what needs to be done, in keeping with pyrite meaning, and imparts the strength and confidence to complete a task. It is a wonderful workplace crystal. It will alleviate fatigue, enhance clarity and give workers a determined focus.
The spiritual healing powers of pyrite are wonderful for improving spiritual focus and clarity of perceptions. It pulls high-frequency energy into the body which stimulates a desire for action, enhances creativity and helps one recognize their own potential. This is an excellent stone for people who want to become more active in charitable endeavors and make a difference in their community.
Pyrite’s meaning in Divination states: A seeming bargain arrives at the time most needed. It could be the answer, but check carefully.
Guardian Angels are not particularly drawn to pyrite; however, other types of Angels are drawn to the golden crystals. Following are the Angels who are attracted to pyrite and the shade of pyrite they favor:
- Medium gold pyrite crystals attract Amutiel, Gabriel, Schelachel and Uriel.
- Dark gold pyrite attracts Ergediel, Risnuch, Ruchiel and Samael.
- Pale gold pyrite is attractive to Chassan and Rampel.
Pyrite crystals impart Earth and Fire energies in Feng Shui. Place a pyrite mirror, figurine or bowl of tumble stones in the northeast and southwest areas of your home for Earth energy. This type of energy is connected with areas of love, relationships, knowledge and skills. When placed in areas used for resting, it will provide a sense of protection and safety. Putting pyrite in the south area of a home will provide Fire energy. It will bring Yang energy, warmth, enthusiasm and a sense of action. Pyrite used for Fire energy also improves ones standing and reputation within the family and the community.
How to use pyrite:
- Hold a pyrite mala or prayer beads in your hand while reciting a mantra or praying.
- Wear pyrite jewelry. Necklaces, earrings and bracelets made with pyrite crystals keep that strong, protective, high-frequency vibration within your aura all day. Only wear pyrite necklaces and bracelets that have spacers between the pyrite beads in order to keep them from rubbing together.
Physical healing properties of pyrite crystals are especially good for situations when a disease, illness or malady seems untreatable. If you’ve tried treatment after treatment, changed your diet or used every possible salve or medication available, pyrite might help. It can be used along with other treatments to bolster your strength and facilitate healing.
Pyrite physical healing properties are good for the treatment of blood disorders, bone disorders, viruses, fungal infections and skin disorders. Pyrite may help reduce inflammation and fevers. It also enhances blood oxygenation and can improve your circulatory, endocrine and respiratory system. It can be useful for treating asthma and bronchitis, too. Pyrite also facilitates the reduction and prevention of free radical damage to the body. It may alleviate impotence and infertility in men.
How to use pyrite:
- Wear pyrite crystal jewelry like a bracelet, necklace and earrings that keep the healing iron sulfide mineral near the problem area. A necklace or brooch made with pyrite are perfect for improving circulatory and upper respiratory function.
- Carry a pyrite tumble stone or worry stone with you. If you are a man who is experiencing impotence or fertility, carry a pyrite tumble stone in your pants pocket.
- Put a handful of pyrite tumble stones in a small bowl near where you sit.
- Keep a pyrite figurine, obelisk, pyramid or collection piece on your desk at work. Pyrite collection pieces are especially helpful and fascinating to look at.
Pyrite emotional healing properties are excellent for people who suffer from anxiety, fearfulness, despair or excessive worrying. It strengthens your confidence and allows you to see your situation more clearly and realistically. Pyrite helps you heal by providing clear insight into your personal and professional interactions.
Pyrite is good for people who suffer from low self-esteem. It provides the confidence needed to face intimidating situations and interactions. People who tend to get bullied and pushed around by family members, co-workers or friends will find pyrite very helpful. It will help you see the situation for what it really is and deal with it appropriately. This lovely golden crystal is very empowering.
How to use pyrite:
- Wear a pyrite crystal bracelet, necklace, brooch or earrings. A necklace and earrings that keep the crystal up around your head are ideal.
- Carry a pyrite tumble stone or worry stone in your purse or pocket. If you feel yourself becoming anxious or intimidated, simply hold the stone in your hand while you quiet yourself.
- Place a bowl of pyrite tumble stones or a pyrite figurine near where you sit, both at work and at home.
- Put a piece of pyrite in your car to help you remain calm and confident while driving.
Pyrite is ideal for meditating to calm yourself, regain perspective and enhance your focus. Holding a piece of pyrite in each hand will instill a sense of balance and renewed energy. It provides protection from negative energy while you meditate, too.
How to do pyrite meditation:
- Hold a piece of pyrite in each hand while you meditate.
- Hold or finger a pyrite mala while meditating.
- Set a pyrite figurine, collection piece, pyramid or obelisk on an altar or table at eye level. Focus on the metallic gold crystal while you meditate.
Pyrite that is medium gold is one of the natural birthstones for people born between July 22 and August 21. Pyrite and other golden crystals are more powerful for people who celebrate their birthday during that time, bringing the owner of the crystal robust energy, power, success and happiness.
PYRITE ZODIAC SIGN
Pyrite isn’t technically a zodiac stone for any of the zodiac signs; however, it could be a natural birthstone for people born under the zodiac sign of Leo. People who are Leos celebrate their birthday between July 23 and August 22.
Pyrite is a sacral chakra and solar plexus chakra crystal. It activates and cleanses these chakras very effectively. Also referred to as the second and third chakras, they are where our life force, intuition, confidence and flow of energy are controlled.
How to do pyrite chakra cleansing:
- Lie down and place pyrite crystals on the sacral and solar plexus chakras in that order. Lie quietly for 10 to 15 minutes while the pyrite activates and cleanses the chakras. Remove the crystals in the reverse order when you are finished.
- Wear a belt with a pyrite belt buckle. This will hold the pyrite right where it needs to be near your second and third chakras.
Cleanse your pyrite crystals every few days, especially if you are utilizing their healing properties to work through emotional or physical health problems. Rinse them under tepid water then dry them with a soft, clean cloth. Don’t leave them to air dry. Do not expose them to hot water, any form of acidic cleaning solution or chemicals. Pyrite crystals can be washed with mild dishwashing soap in tepid water if they get dirty. Be sure to thoroughly rinse dry them. Pyrite crystals can be cleansed of negative energies in brown rice or soil, too.